1. Great Source of Protein
Recent research has found that for optimal health, each meal should provide at least 20–30 grams of high-quality protein
A 3.5-ounce serving of salmon contains 22–25 grams of protein
Studies have shown that selenium helps protect bone health, decreases thyroid antibodies in people with autoimmune thyroid disease and may reduce the risk of cancer. 3.5 ounces of salmon provide 59–67% of the RDI of selenium.
Consuming salmon and other high-selenium seafood has been shown to improve blood levels of selenium in people whose diets are low in this mineral. One study found that blood levels of selenium increased significantly more in people who consumed two servings of salmon per week than those who consumed fish oil capsules containing less selenium
Our Favorite Salmon recipe:
Garlic butter creamed spinach salmon
1. Season the salmon all over with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the salmon, skin side down and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the salmon is crisp. Gently flip, and continue cooking the salmon for another 2-3 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked to your liking. Remove from the skillet. If desired, peel away the skin and discard.
3. To the same skillet, add the butter, shallots, and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, coconut milk, and cream cheese. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy. Add the parmesan, and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, parsley, and chives. Remove from the heat and slide the salmon back into the sauce.
4. To serve plate each piece of salmon, then spoon the sauce over top. Serve with additional herbs.
- 2 salmon filets, skin on or off (your preference)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons salted butter
- 0.5 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1.5 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 0.25 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 0.5 cup canned full-fat coconut milk, or heavy cream
- 1 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 0.25 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 0.5 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, plus more for serving